Friday, August 14, 2009

Procrastination

I know that many people procrastinate and think that it's okay but in reality it just comes down to laziness. I do it a lot but more than not I am a person who gets things done now and play later. For instance, when I am in school, I hurry up and get the class work done while everyone else is there talking and playing around. Well, when I am working, they laugh at me for doing the work. But, tomorrow morning when they do not have the work done because they didn't do it for homework, then they don't feel all that smart. While I can be at home playing and doing whatever I want and not have to worry about the work.

Based on some figures, it is estimated that as much as 95 % of the people are prone to procrastination. Amongst them, 20 % of them are chronic procrastinators. These people have an increasing chance of losing their jobs, have financial problems and have serious problems with their relationship with others.

Another great instance that happened a lot in my senior year was students and college applications and scholarships. I knew so many people who could have made it to college if only they would have done an application that would have taken maybe 30 minutes away from the XBOX time. This can be a really big issue when it comes to financial aid. Many of the aid is based on a first come first serve basis. If you are at home playing video games instead of filling out forms, then you will most likely be losing thousand and thousands of dollars. I knew a guy who almost had a full-ride to college but failed to send in a couple forms that could have secured his college career but was just to lazy to do it. So his couple hours of XBOX a day cost him probably around $75,000 or so. So if you do not procrastinate and you just do what's needed, then while everyone is having fun you can actually enjoy yourself without worrying about that book report or about that extra homework assessment. Many teens have a problem whit this but when you are able to prevent it and do whats needed to get the job done, then you will be a better person which will include being more responsible, organized, and even better self-esteem.

My thoughts say that you should work now and play later. Do all your studying now and get it out of the way so that you can watch television and play games. When your parents tell you to do something, then you should do it. Otherwise, if you don't, they will be mad at you and who knows what will happen from then on out. If you get it done when they ask, then you don't have to worry about it anymore and they will be happy.

While doing some research on Procrastination I found a Creed that many people live by but shouldn't because in the long run, it will not lead you anywhere. These are some of the things that I found:

  1. I believe that if anything is worth doing, it would have been done already.

  2. I shall never move quickly, except to avoid more work or find excuses.

  3. I will never rush into a job without a lifetime of consideration.

  4. I shall meet all of my deadlines directly in proportion to the amount of bodily injury I could expect to receive from missing them.

  5. I firmly believe that tomorrow holds the possibility for new technologies, astounding discoveries, and a reprieve from my obligations.

  6. I truly believe that all deadlines are unreasonable regardless of the amount of time given.

  7. I shall never forget that the probability of a miracle, though infinitesimally small, is not exactly zero.

  8. If at first I don't succeed, there is always next year.

  9. I shall always decide not to decide, unless of course I decide to change my mind.

  10. I shall always begin, start, initiate, take the first step, and/or write the first word, when I get around to it.

  11. I obey the law of inverse excuses which demands that the greater the task to be done, the more insignificant the work that must be done prior to beginning the greater task.

  12. I know that the work cycle is not plan-start-finish, but is wait-plan-plan.

  13. I will never put off until tomorrow, what I can forget about forever.

  14. I will become a member of the ancient Order of Two-Headed Turtles (the Procrastinator's Society) if they ever get it organized.

Here are some great quotes that I found as well:

  • Nothing is so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task. ~William James
  • Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday. ~Don Marquis
  • Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday. ~Author Unknown
  • Every duty which is bidden to wait returns with seven fresh duties at its back. ~Charles Kingsley
  • The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up. ~Author Unknown
  • If it weren't for the last minute, I wouldn't get anything done. ~Author Unknown
  • Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he is supposed to be doing at that moment. ~Robert Benchley
  • There are a million ways to lose a work day, but not even a single way to get one back. ~Tom DeMarco and Timothy Lister
  • It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in. ~Earl of Chesterfield
  • The two rules of procrastination: 1) Do it today. 2) Tomorrow will be today tomorrow. ~Author Unknown
  • One of the greatest labor-saving inventions of today is tomorrow. ~Vincent T. Foss
  • You may delay, but time will not. ~Benjamin Franklin
  • Someday is not a day of the week. ~Author Unknown
  • To think too long about doing a thing often becomes its undoing. ~Eva Young
  • Don't fool yourself that important things can be put off till tomorrow; they can be put off forever, or not at all. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotic's Notebook, 1960
  • Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion. ~C. Northcote Parkinson, 1958
  • Procrastination is opportunity's assassin. ~Victor Kiam
  • If you want to make an easy job seem mighty hard, just keep putting off doing it. ~Olin Miller
  • What may be done at any time will be done at no time. ~Scottish Proverb
  • There's nothing to match curling up with a good book when there's a repair job to be done around the house. ~Joe Ryan
  • Procrastination is something best put off until tomorrow. ~Gerald Vaughan
  • The best way to get something done is to begin. ~Author Unknown
  • You know you are getting old when it takes too much effort to procrastinate. ~Author Unknown
  • I do my work at the same time each day - the last minute. ~Author Unknown
  • Tomorrow is often the busiest day of the week. ~Spanish Proverb
  • The time to begin most things is ten years ago. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Second Neurotic's Notebook, 1966
  • Putting off an easy thing makes it hard. Putting off a hard thing makes it impossible. ~George Claude Lorimer
  • Tomorrow is the day when idlers work, and fools reform. ~Edward Young
  • Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow. ~Mark Twain
  • Tomorrow is the only day in the year that appeals to a lazy man. ~Jimmy Lyons
  • A year from now you may wish you had started today. ~Karen Lamb
  • One of these days is none of these days. ~Attributed to both Henri Tubach and H.G. Bohn
  • Procrastination is the thief of time. ~Edward Young
Now that you have seen some quotes and you are thinking about trying to get better, then you can refer to a couple Bible verses that talk about procrastination:

  • Proverbs 27:1 "Do not boast about tomorrow, for you do not know what a day may bring."

  • Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

  • 1 Thessalonians 5:2 "For you yourselves are fully aware that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night."

So get off the XBOX on computer and get some work done so you will feel good about playing around later and not regretting it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment