Friday, August 27, 2010

Campus Candy, the Movies, and More.

Wow, it sure has been a long time since I have written a blog.

It has been a long summer and many things have happened that are going to change my life forever. Some including getting promoted at work, meeting some amazing new friends and co-workers, and getting a few extra credit hours out of the way. Classes are now starting in a couple days but looking back on it now, I am not quite ready. Since I have been working all summer and going to class, I would love to have a little break to just sleep and do whatever I want to. Maybe a little Madden '11 or catch up on some truly missed Call of Duty.

Well, since I have paid for my textbooks (which I will most likely not read), I guess the realism of classes starting in 3 more days is ever more inevitable. I received a few books today from Chegg and I opened them just to see what I have coming to me in the fall and all I have to say is, WOW. Like, I am not someone who likes to read in general but my books this year are THICK. I will just be a good college student and suck-it-up. It will be a busy semester for me because I will be a full time student (with 16 or 18 credit hours), work as a Consultant Supervisor for Technology Center Consulting, work as a Web Coordinator for the SRSC, and I have also been offered a job to be an Undergraduate Instructor for an introductory course for Computer Science majors. What does this mean? Well, I guess I am going to have a very limited social life but my main goal is to have a resume that will land me that perfect job at Google.

Well, let me get back to the title of my blog here. I want to start with by saying I feel everyone should boycott the movie theaters. They complain how Netflix is taking all their business but I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever now. I went there to see Inception (absolutely amazing movie by the way) and it was $10. My mind was absolutely blown because I could not believe that it is cheaper to have a months worth of unlimited movies for cheaper than a single movie. But Wait, there's more... Just to have a tub of pop corn and two cokes, it was an additional $20. How and why would you expect for someone to go to the movies when they can clearly do it for literally a small fraction of the price.

Another thing I want to vent about are these candy shops. One of my favorite foods are actually candy (and it shows) but I can only get the good stuff at retail places like Walmart and the gas stations. I have been to several candy shops, one including Campus Candy which is near IU and one in the College Mall. They literally charge over $10 per pound of candy. If you were to purchase one bag of skittles and a small bag of something else from Walmart for around $1, it would be over 10x as much at one of these candy stores. I can see why so many businesses are having so much trouble staying open. It is because they are pricing themselves out of the market.

Well, this will sum up this blog. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment